Skip to main content

What Does Being A Christian Mean?

A student says to you: “To be a Christian is to be a forgiven sinner, no more no less” How does your understanding of adoption affect how you would respond to this question?



Being a Christian has not just to do with justification, but also adoption and sanctification. A forgiven sinner means you’ve been justified - it sounds very distant, legalistic. Though justification is necessary for someone to stand right before God, it isn’t the only privilege of being a Christian. We are called righteous through Jesus’ sacrifice, but we are also adopted and called sons/ heirs of God.


Adoption also has legalistic dimension, the part where we were redeemed from a cursed way of life - to being in line to the inheritance of God’s kingdom and having security that this is going to happen. We understand that we don’t work to be a son/ heir, but believe and enter the family with a sure inheritance. This point about the security we have is the one that stuck out the most to me as I read Paul’s convincing argument to the Galatians - He pleads with them to know that they are not slaves anymore, but born again into the promise; since a slave has no assurance nor relationship with the family He’s in. God adopts us to give us that assurance, access and proximity to Him The assurance that it’s only a matter of time before a son’s full inheritance will be given. The proximity that slowly sinks into our Spirit form His and allows us to call Him daddy!




On top of this, we even get born again. In other words receive God’s Spirit, that sanctifies us. His Spirit leads us and renews us into a new way of life that lines up with the legal transaction that took place. We start becoming a chip off the old block of God. As the person mentioned we are sinners in need of forgiveness. Since, though we were made in God’s image, sin marred that image.This implies not just the need for forgiveness, but adoption into a new family with a Holy Father - our new aim, as well as sanctification through God’s Spirit that restores us to suit the new family we’ve been born into.


If we were forgiven and not adopted, then it would be like me adopting a child but leaving them in their old home. Children are usually put up for adoption because of the conditions they’re in being unfit for raising a child. In the same way, God sees our need to be taken into a new family with Him as Father. The life I lived before God adopted me was a life of self-pleasure, sinful ambition - but God has adopted me into His family, one body with other believers - a new purpose and promise of inheritance in His everlasting Kingdom.


The language Paul uses to refer to believers include ‘seed’, ‘clothed’, ’slaves’ to ‘sons’ - emphasising the fact that each of us are in need of an external salvation. We need God to adopt us for salvation. His righteousness is our new uniform - we are legally adopted - and the Spirit trains us in the righteous way. Since we are sons, then we are free to obey God to please Him, not obeying to attain sonship - I am a son of God by faith! Sticking to the language ‘son’ and not switching to ‘daughter’ because back in Paul’s day sonship meant full inheritance, whereas daughters wouldn’t - so I know I have God’s full inheritance of eternal life with Him - as a Son! haha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If the Cross is where God punishes his innocent son instead of me, is it an act of cosmic child abuse?

How would you reply if a student asks you this question? It is right to say that Jesus suffered an innocent death on the Cross, and in the place of all, me or you. You are also correct in saying that the cross was a punishment of some sort, though as you stated not a punishment for Jesus’ error, as He was innocent. Scripture tells us that the cross was a punishment for the sin of the world that justified sinners before God (Romans 5:9). However the punishment of Christ’s death on the Cross cannot be considered as God abusing His child, as we see through Scripture and commentaries, the Christian understanding is that Jesus Christ did not let His human body die begrudgingly (as if it were a circumstance out of His control), but willingly, out of choice and compassion for us, His creation. He was the Word who created us who also chose to save us. The majority of what I base my discussion on is found in St. Athanasius’ argument and writing On the Incarnation ( De Incarnatione Verbi Dei

How does knowing God is Three in One make a difference to your Christian life?

When I sat in science class about eight years ago, my teacher dissected a cow’s heart in front of us and proceeded to tell us we all had similar hearts pumping blood round bodies right now; leading to my sudden belief in the heart and its functions, and my inability to live without one. Akin to that revelation, has been the revelation of the Trinity to me thus far. If I had never known details of God’s three in one-ness, His triuneness would still not fail to continue making everything that is true possible; since every aspect of God is closely related to His creation and His will for it. Just as I lived ignorantly to my heart’s vital pumping efforts for many years, so have I to God’s truinity. Upon learning of the truth of my heart’s daily efforts to keep me alive, I was first led to awe and wonder. God, in the same way, revealing His existence in being an eternal and simple trinity has left me in wonder and a grown understanding and trust of Him. Being raised up as a Hindu meant

The God Who Speaks

The God who Speaks - Core Study Response 3 Question:  In the midst of small group a discussion arises about the role of the Bible today. Some talk about how dry and irrelevant they find reading the Bible and how they would much rather God just spoke to them directly. They turn to you and ask what your view of the Bible is? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- What do I think of the Bible? Well I agree with Mike Reeves, when he points out that through the Bible we get to know God. How? Because Jesus makes God known, as shown in John 14: “Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?” (John 14:9 - NIV) “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”  (John 14:6 - NIV) and the Bible mak