Skip to main content

Who Is Jesus To Me Now?

What naturally comes to mind when you think about who Jesus is? How has your understanding of who He is grown? how does your Union with Christ change the way you approach your everyday
discipleship? 

Naturally when I think about Jesus, I think of Him in so many ways, depending on what
truth I’m needing to hear at the time. 
It reminds me of this rap I used to sing when I was younger: 
(from Casting Crowns’ song He Didn’t Die in Vain)

Messiah, Creator
Baby born to be our Saviour
Father, Redeemer
Hope of glory, friend of sinners
All knowing, all powerful
Forgiving, oh so faithful
Our helper, our maker
Living stone, our mediator
Sinless high priest
Messenger, prince of peace,
Bread of life, Holy One
Counsellor, Beloved Son
king of ages, King of kings
Ruler over everything
Emmanuel, Cornerstone
Morning star, and Lord of Lords
Lamb of God, He is Risen
Unto us a Son is given
Mighty One of Righteousness
Beautiful in holiness
Chief Shepherd, one true vine
You’re the living sacrifice
First and last, eternal friend
Comforter, The Great I am

(I wrote that all from memory - that’s God working through my weakness right there)

This is the list I wrote, though, before this rap came to mind. What I naturally think about when I think of who Jesus is to me:
I think of an intercessor on my behalf, the Creator of the world who came to save me and make Himself more known to the rest of mankind, than his creation could silently declare. 
I think of a mighty lion who rages truth in my ears, yet at the same time, a perfect lamb who chose to sacrifice His life for sinners like me. The Lamb whose resurrection, brought victory over death and eternal life for those who believe. 
He was a ransom necessary to free all creation from spiritual death, and to restore His good purpose for us. 
I think of God’s Word who breathed all things into existence and continues to sustain and uphold them in place. 
I think of the giver of all good things, and good judge who holds all knowledge. 
I think of a righteous ruler whose kingdom will never end. 
I think of a Son, whose obedience to God, the Father, stands unmatched in love for both His father and creation. 
I think of a fountain of wisdom who never runs dry.





I have grown in my understanding of what ‘union with Christ’ means through my study this week. Grudem puts it helpfully in Chapter 43 of ST, that union with Christ is spoken about in four ways in the Bible. These include: 
(1) Us in Christ, (2) Christ in us, (3) Us like Christ, (4) Us being with Christ, or Him being with us.

1 and 4 are used in really similar ways, only, when we see in the Bible the words ‘in Christ’, it is usually used to describe the treasures, gifts, inheritance, salvation, joy that is found ‘in Christ’. So when we are said to be a people ‘in Christ’, I understand it now to mean to be found where all His riches are found - in God’s presence, to have all things that we need. To be seen no longer for our unrighteousness, but to be hidden in Christ and now
seen by the Father as righteous.

Where as 4, the words ‘with Christ’ can refer to when three or two are gathered in Jesus’ name - a place where Jesus is actually being welcomed - different to His Holy Spirit which individually dwells in each believer. He abides with us as a congregation as well as individually. In other words, He abides with us, as parts and as His whole body - For everyday evangelism, this means we are to relate to the other parts of His body with honour. As whatever we do for the least of the brothers of Jesus, He says, we do for Him. As Sinclair Ferguson put it: “if Christ is not ashamed to indwell them, I am not ashamed to embrace them” This indwelling is what number 2, the words ‘Christ in us’, refers to. The fact that Jesus works in us. 

All those gifts mentioned in number 1 are being brought to us through the Holy Spirit’s indwelling. Knowing He lives in us breaks down our pride, makes us constantly dependent on Him, and gives me great confidence of Christ’s work in us, not confidence in ourselves. This makes accepting each other’s weaknesses much easier, and not leaving them as they are but praying for Christ to work through those weaknesses. We do all things in His power, for His kingdom, in a way that brings glory and honour to Him. This is important for daily evangelism, as it is the same Spirit who prepares me when I don’t ‘feel’ holy, am too mindful of my sin, or not ‘feeling’ forgiven, and basically feeling like God can’t use me that day. I can remember and rejoice that it is Christ working through me
to save people. I can rest in knowing it’s not up to my own eloquence, understanding, or work. He will use all three if present in me, because it would be Jesus who gives them to me for His own good purpose. Truly relying on His power to save people also would look like me constantly running to Jesus in prayer before speaking for Him. Spending time on putting all that I do before Him, instead of spending it all on written and physical preparation.

This is partially what number 3, the words ‘Us like Christ’ means. The sanctification of a believer that develops over time of seeking Him and learning, from Him, what He looks like. Then conforming all the more to His image, whilst at the same time remaining individually gifted, and part of His body. This same process, happening in all believers, gives us the wisdom to relate to each other in godly, loving ways. Always pointing each other to Christ in us, never despairing in our sin, but refreshing each other with God’s holiness as our goal. In everyday evangelism, that means I don’t have to look towards those I think evangelise or preach better than I do, in a sort of comparative competition mindset, but I can know that we all evangelise out of love for Christ, seeking to please Him. 

Martin Luther talks a lot about what being a Christian means, and explains the basic principle of salvation by faith alone, but he moves along to explain ‘salvation-through-faith’s very important implication: the fact that Christians are therefore free from the law which shows man himself. We are also then free to make ourselves a servant as Jesus did. “It is not by working, but by believing, that we glorify God, and confess Him to be true.” This is what sets apart a Christian from a non-Christian who does good works. We glorify God through our works. One of the works we do as Christian is to evangelise, and to believe that we are saved by faith alone, is to live in freedom to serve. It’s so liberating to be able to do all I do, not because it will make me more of a Christian, but because it is
an easy decision when I worship and dwell on Jesus, and what he has done, and is bringing about.
Sinclair Ferguson, brought the work of ‘baptism’ into question, and explained very well how it is a ‘naming ceremony’ before God’s body, and a natural consequence of accepting Jesus - though, not a work that makes us more holy. Being baptised, like evangelising, therefore is an outward living that starts at a Christian’s new beginning with Christ. Baptism though only needs to happen once, since once we take on Christ’s name, we have it for as long as we continue in faith in Him; evangelism though is a continuous overflow of being in relationship with Christ. Living my whole Christian life immersed in, drinking from the truth of my union with Jesus. Knowing that everything that is Jesus’ is mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If the Cross is where God punishes his innocent son instead of me, is it an act of cosmic child abuse?

How would you reply if a student asks you this question? It is right to say that Jesus suffered an innocent death on the Cross, and in the place of all, me or you. You are also correct in saying that the cross was a punishment of some sort, though as you stated not a punishment for Jesus’ error, as He was innocent. Scripture tells us that the cross was a punishment for the sin of the world that justified sinners before God (Romans 5:9). However the punishment of Christ’s death on the Cross cannot be considered as God abusing His child, as we see through Scripture and commentaries, the Christian understanding is that Jesus Christ did not let His human body die begrudgingly (as if it were a circumstance out of His control), but willingly, out of choice and compassion for us, His creation. He was the Word who created us who also chose to save us. The majority of what I base my discussion on is found in St. Athanasius’ argument and writing On the Incarnation ( De Incarnatione Verbi Dei

How does knowing God is Three in One make a difference to your Christian life?

When I sat in science class about eight years ago, my teacher dissected a cow’s heart in front of us and proceeded to tell us we all had similar hearts pumping blood round bodies right now; leading to my sudden belief in the heart and its functions, and my inability to live without one. Akin to that revelation, has been the revelation of the Trinity to me thus far. If I had never known details of God’s three in one-ness, His triuneness would still not fail to continue making everything that is true possible; since every aspect of God is closely related to His creation and His will for it. Just as I lived ignorantly to my heart’s vital pumping efforts for many years, so have I to God’s truinity. Upon learning of the truth of my heart’s daily efforts to keep me alive, I was first led to awe and wonder. God, in the same way, revealing His existence in being an eternal and simple trinity has left me in wonder and a grown understanding and trust of Him. Being raised up as a Hindu meant

The God Who Speaks

The God who Speaks - Core Study Response 3 Question:  In the midst of small group a discussion arises about the role of the Bible today. Some talk about how dry and irrelevant they find reading the Bible and how they would much rather God just spoke to them directly. They turn to you and ask what your view of the Bible is? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- What do I think of the Bible? Well I agree with Mike Reeves, when he points out that through the Bible we get to know God. How? Because Jesus makes God known, as shown in John 14: “Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?” (John 14:9 - NIV) “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”  (John 14:6 - NIV) and the Bible mak